POSITION: Outreach Specialist
PROGRAM/LOCATION: Supportive Services for Veteran Families/
Sobrato Family Living Center- most work is street-based and at homeless encampments in Santa Clara County
SUPERVISOR: Program Manager
HomeFirst’s Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) project is designed to provide housing stability to homeless and at-risk veteran households in the County of Santa Clara. This goal is achieved by providing veteran participants with comprehensive supportive services, including intensive case management services, housing search and maintenance support, targeted financial assistance, and support with increasing income through employment and benefits assistance.
Direct Service 80%
- Provide street and encampment-based outreach to the homeless in Santa Clara County.
- Complete field-based pre-screens of homeless veterans to determine eligibility for SSVF.
- Provide information and referral to community services such as employment counseling, health care, mental health services, etc.
- Transport clients, in an agency vehicle, to the BRC shelter or other appropriate destinations as needed.
- Conduct assessments as appropriate to determine client vulnerability, self-sufficiency, and appropriate housing or service program referral and/or placement.
- Complete all appropriate data collection, HMIS data entry, paperwork, and tracking of activities within 1 business day.
- Respond to the community’s calls for assistance as quickly as possible.
- Assist clients with accessing public benefits and assistance as appropriate.
- Connect or refer clients to services provided at the BRC shelter service center as appropriate.
- Make timely and accurate decisions in emergency or crisis situations with awareness of the need for safety of all clients, staff, or volunteers involved.
- Utilize supervision appropriately, maintaining open lines of communication and providing updates on activities regularly.
- Know and follow agency and program policies and procedures.
- Properly report any suspected cases of abuse.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED; Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related field a plus
Skills, Abilities and Knowledge
- Having personal or professional experiences with homelessness
- Knowledge of the locations in Santa Clara County where homeless congregate and camp
- Ability to walk long distances and on rough terrain (such as trails to creek-side encampments)
- Ability to lift and carry outreach supplies (usually in a backpack, up to 40 lbs.)
- Understanding of and sensitivity to the needs of the homeless
- Understanding of and sensitivity to the needs of the Veteran population
- Commitment to increasing the housing stability and self-sufficiency of the homeless
- Strong verbal and written skills; multiple languages desirable
- Good problem solving skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to work with people of diverse social backgrounds and professional rank
- Demonstrated communication skills
- Knowledge and understanding of community resources and human services
- Initiative, flexibility, and the capacity to respond effectively in all situations
- Good collaboration skills and the ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Basic computer skills, including knowledge of MS Office applications and the internet
- Clean driving record
- Valid CA driver license and legally required insurance; reliable transportation
ABOUT THE AGENCY:
We serve more than 5,600 adults, veterans, families, and youth each year at seven locations, including the Boccardo Reception Center, which is the county’s largest homeless services center. In more than 35 years of experience, we’ve learned that everyone has the potential to get housed and stay housed. We are relentlessly focused on eliminating barriers to housing and stability for everyone we serve.
HomeFirst is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
*LOCAL APPLICANTS ONLY