POSITION: Veterans Program Manager
PROGRAM/LOCATION: Santa Clara CA
SUPERVISOR: Veterans Services Director
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
HomeFirst Services of Santa Clara County offers a range of services to homeless and at-risk Veterans in our community, ranging from emergency shelter services, transitional housing, rapid-rehousing programs, and permanent supportive housing.
The Veterans Program Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations and oversight of assigned programs.
Direct Services Oversight
- With the Veteran Services Director, oversee the day-to-day operations of the program through management of Case Managers, Housing Specialists, Benefits Specialists, and Employment Specialists.
- Assist Case Managers and/or Support Specialists in maintaining a case load and providing intensive case management and/or other direct service to clients.
- Conduct ongoing staff trainings to implement program policies and ensure staff are successful in conducting and developing client intakes and assessments, including SPDAT (Service Prioritization Decision Assistance Tool) and bio-psycho-social assessments.
- Assess the follow-up of Case Managers and/or Support Specialists as they work with program participants to develop and implement an individual case management plan, and/or provide other support to help them achieve their income and housing goals.
- Conduct regularly scheduled team meetings to ensure successful team communication and client enrollment in the program.
- Train staff to conduct ongoing re-assessments of the clients’ needs and status, and document assessment in HMIS.
- Ensure that staff provide appropriate referrals and outreach to agencies that provide services to low-income households, such as the Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Santa Clara Housing Authority, Homeless Coordinators of Santa Clara County and City of San José, and other local human service providers.
- Oversee that all documentation for the program is conducted within agency and program guidelines, maintained and updated in files, and kept confidentially.
- Ensure staff enters all case management and service delivery activity via progress notes and service transactions in HMIS within 3 business days.
- Ensure service integration with Santa Clara County’s coordinated entry system.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with government liaisons.
- Advocate with service providers and government staff on behalf of program participants.
Employee Management and Leadership
- Lead client case conferencing in order to monitor client progress and ensure adequate levels of support to clients.
- With the Veteran Services Director, monitor and evaluate staff performance to ensure compliance with all expectations and standards of practice.
- With the Veteran Services Director, provide training, supervision, mentoring, and coaching to develop program staff.
- Work with staff to maintain thorough, accurate records of case management activities with every program participant and to maintain files per agency standards.
- Ensure effective service delivery as measured by achievement of program targets.
- Organize the work of the program and delegate responsibility to staff members, as appropriate.
- Facilitate weekly team meetings and other program-related meetings.
- Train and supervise interns in the process with the assistance of the clinical supervisor, as needed.
- Ensure volunteers are appropriately qualified and screened.
- Assist with office-related tasks as needed.
- Attend all job-related meetings, including program staff meetings and agency-wide meetings.
- Participate in opportunities for learning and skill maintenance/development, including internal and external trainings and workshops.
- Assist with other duties assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a Case Manager or in case management-type work
- Experience serving the Veterans population
- Demonstrated team leadership experience
- Experience in developing relationships with community partners and outside agencies
Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge
- Understanding of and sensitivity to the needs of the homeless
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently and be flexible with priorities
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Strong sense of accountability
- Ability to present oneself and the agency professionally to internal and external audiences
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to lead a team and work as a member of a team
- Ability to work with people of diverse socio-economic backgrounds
- Preference for extensive field work over office-based work
- Valid CA driver license and insurance, and reliable transportation
ABOUT THE AGENCY:
Home First is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.