POSITION: Delivery Driver Class C Driver
PROGRAM/LOCATION: Boccardo Reception Center (BRC) All Programs
San Jose; Gilroy, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara/Palo Alto Milpitas Mountain View, etc.
SUPERVISOR: Fleet Coordinator
STATUS: Full Time (32-40 hrs./week)
The Boccardo Reception Center (BRC) is the largest homeless shelter and service facility in Santa Clara County with a capacity of up to 250 homeless persons. The BRC is a multi-service facility that offers numerous programs and services, including year-round emergency shelter, a medical clinic, public benefits enrollment and advocacy, job search and retention assistance, group workshops and additional resources, information and referral to community partners, housing search and financial assistance, and free restroom, shower, and laundry facilities. The BRC facility is open and staffed seven days per week, 24 hours per day.
HomeFirst has also operated the Cold Weather Shelter Program (CWSP) since 1987 to provide temporary shelter during the cold weather and rainy season to people who are homeless. Our focus is on providing a safe environment and the basic necessities of life.
- Safely operate Box trucks/Cargo vans/Vans, etc.
- Deliver and pick-up goods, meals, supplies for all programs, facilities, such as the shelters, jail, etc. company routes/sites as needed
- Operating equipment and machines, such as cars, trucks, forklifts, pallet jacks,etc
- Ensure vehicle is ready for use prior to operating the vehicle daily (e.g. Record proper temperature in and weigh food, storage compartment; sufficient fuel)
- Assisting with loading and unloading items, food, general equipment, linens from vehicles, trucks, etc.
- Drive for prolonged amounts of time.
- Must maintain trips logs which give details, such as passenger count, route details, proof of pick up/ delivery, etc
- Deliver/Pick up clients to preset destinations according to a schedule
- Document vehicle issues, route details, fuel intakes and maintenance in respective logs
- Keep neat, complete vehicle logs, including Maintenance, Route Details, and Fuel
- Must have expertise in handling /box trucks and ability to complete minor maintenance tasks such as pre-trip inspections, oil checks, tire pressure, air filter, etc.
- Help maintain and keep all vehicles clean and operational
- Provide daily inspections and report any deficiencies to manager immediately
- Must be aware of city roadways and be able to interpret road maps
- Attend all meetings relevant to the position
- Assist with other duties assigned
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid California class C Driver License with authorization
- Minimum one year of C-Class driving experience
- Experience working with the homeless population preferred
- Experience in customer service preferred
Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge
- Able to follow directions, read maps, and familiarity with Santa Clara County
- Able to follow written and oral instructions and take direction
- Ability to work with people of diverse social backgrounds
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- High level of flexibility and ability to prioritize appropriately
- Ability to present oneself and the agency professionally to internal and external audiences
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Walk, bend, twist, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, and crouch
- Able to regularly lift up to 50 lbs.
- Valid California Driver License and auto insurance
- NO Major Moving Violations within the past 4 years (e.g. DUI, driving while license suspended/revoked, etc.)
- Acceptable driving record (no excessive tickets, at-fault accidents, etc.)
- Able to pass standard background check and fingerprinting
- Must have clear drug tests
- Sensitivity to the needs of homeless individuals and families
- Observant of the environment and the people within it
- Desire to continually develop skills and increase knowledge
- Value being part of a coordinated team
- High level of professionalism with internal and external audiences
- Strong sense of accountability
- Must be over 18 years old