Position: Program Manager – Housing Placement
Location: 3180 Newberry Drive
San Jose, CA
Reports to: Housing Placement Director
Status: Full-time, Exempt
HomeFirst Services of Santa Clara County offers a range of services to homeless and at-risk households in our community including emergency shelter programming, transitional housing, rapid-rehousing, permanent supportive housing, and homelessness prevention. We serve more than 6,000 adults, veterans, families, and youth each year at seven locations including our Boccardo Reception Center, which is the county’s largest homeless services center.
The goal of HomeFirst’s Housing Placement Department is to end and prevent homelessness for at-risk households in the County of Santa Clara, California. We achieve this goal by providing a milieu of services including rental subsidies, housing location services, landlord mediation, and other supports to program participants.
The Housing Placement Manager is accountable for performance toward housing outcome metrics addressing the length of time participants experience homelessness while in program, recidivism, and the cumulative program exits into permanent housing among others. This role is further responsible for modeling the values and principles of HomeFirst within the agency and the broader community.
There are 6-10 employees assigned to the Housing Placement Manager.
- Ensure effective service delivery as measured by achievement of program targets.
- Oversee that all documentation for the program is conducted appropriately within the agency, licensing, contract, and program guidelines.
- Adhere to task completion deadlines.
- Independently manage the day-to-day operations of assigned programs through supervision of all assigned staff, including:
- Assist Housing Specialists in maintaining a caseload.
- Monitor and evaluate staff performance to ensure compliance with all expectations and standards of practice.
- Provide recruitment, hiring, and training of program staff.
- Work with staff to maintain thorough, accurate records of Housing Specialist activities
- Organize the work of the program and delegate responsibility to staff members, as appropriate.
- Assess the follow-up of Housing Specialists as they work with program participants to develop and implement a housing plan, and/or provide other support to help them achieve their income and housing goals.
- Lead regularly scheduled team meetings to support program operation, including client case conferencing
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with contract monitors and partners.
- Ensure service integration with Santa Clara County’s CoC, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Homelessness Prevention, and other relevant systems.
- Advocate on behalf of program participants as needed.
- Participate in program design and development, including the upkeep of operations manuals, as needed.
- Attend all job-related meetings, including program staff meetings and agency or system-wide meetings.
- Participate in opportunities for learning and skill maintenance/development, including internal and external training and workshops.
- Maintain professional relations and conduct.
- Utilize supervision appropriately, maintaining open lines of communication, and providing updates on individuals.
- Be available after hours for support during crisis situations, as needed.
- Assist with other duties assigned.
- The Housing Placement Manager is committed to the principles of Housing First and Harm Reduction and demonstrates that commitment through their proactive and creative approach to housing interventions. They recognize the time-sensitivity required to support households in crisis to maintain or secure housing stability and exercise empathy toward the people we serve.
- The needs of the program, community partners, and population may compete, and the Housing Placement Manager is skilled in mediating conflicting demands and de-escalating challenges. They are a professional representative of the agency and can communicate persuasively when needed to enhance partnership opportunities or resolve crises.
- HomeFirst is a diverse company in a diverse field, and the Housing Placement Manager desires to work with people from a variety of social and economic backgrounds. To that end, the Housing Placement Manager cultivates a connected and mutually supportive team.
Education and Experience, General
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related field human services field preferred; Bachelor’s may be substituted by 2 years relevant work experience.
- Minimum of 1 year demonstrated leadership experience.
- Experience serving people at risk of losing their housing or currently homeless preferred.
- Bilingual, bicultural preferred
- Fluent in Microsoft Office Suite
- Valid CA driver’s license, reliable transportation, and legally required insurance
- Physical duties will include walking, sitting, ability to lift 25lbs
ABOUT THE AGENCY:
HomeFirst is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.