Position: Outreach Manager
Location: San Jose/Santa Clara
Employment Type: Regular Full Time, Exempt
Compensation: 80k - 88,400k
HomeFirst Services of Santa Clara County offers a range of services to homeless and at-risk households in our community including emergency shelter programming, transitional housing, rapid-rehousing, permanent supportive housing, and homelessness prevention.
The Outreach Manager oversees programs within HomeFirst’s Emergency Housing Division. This Division encompasses all programs serving individuals and families who are homeless and seeking immediate temporary housing or shelter options. Under the guidance of the agency’s Street-Based Service Director and Vice President (VP) of Emergency Housing Division, the Outreach Manager will oversee the staff that engages with people experiencing homelessness on the street, in parks, along highways, in vehicles, and in other public spaces. The intention of the program is two-fold- first to offer support and resources to individuals living without shelter, and second, to locate individuals who have been selected to enroll in subsidized housing programs.
The Outreach Manager is accountable for their program’s performance in supporting the agency’s mission metrics toward housing outcome metrics addressing the length of time participants experience homelessness while in the program, recidivism, and the cumulative program exits into permanent housing among others. This role is further responsible for modeling the values and principles of HomeFirst within the agency and the broader community.
- With the guidance and direction of the Director of Interim Housing, the Outreach Manager:
- Ensures effective service delivery as measured by the achievement of program goals and objectives.
- Independently manage the day-to-day operations of assigned programs through supervision of all assigned staff.
- Participates in program design and development.
- Participates in creating policies and procedures manuals.
- Recruits, hires, trains, and supervises program staff.
- Provides regular one-to-one supervision with team members as well as conducts team meetings.
- Provides tracking and reporting for multiple programs.
- Works to build external partnerships to ensure the highest level of service possible.
- Coordinate activity and bed capacity with external partners as necessary.
- Ensures program staff adheres to program goals, objectives, and practices.
- Leads/facilitates large group meetings and discussions for both program participants and community stakeholders.
- Secures all necessary supplies for multiple programs.
- Ensures enrollments, assessments, intakes, and other program participant documentation is taken care of and properly kept in compliance with HomeFirst standards.
- Complete all appropriate data collection, HMIS data entry, paperwork, and tracking of activities.
- Make timely and accurate decisions in emergency or crisis situations with particular awareness of the need for safety of all program participants, staff, or volunteers involved.
- Know and follow agency and program policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the implementation and monitoring of services contracts and deliverables identified within multiple contracts.
- Assist in the development of Outreach Specialist professional
- Periodically joins outreach teams in the field for observation.
- Attends community meetings as needed and represents HomeFirst in a professional
- Other duties as assigned
This role is further responsible for modeling the values and principles of HomeFirst within the agency and the broader community.
- The Outreach Manager is relentless in their commitment to ending homelessness via the principles of Housing First and Harm Reduction. They demonstrate this commitment through thoughtful, strategic program design and a scientific approach to performance improvement. Their participation in the continuous testing, analysis, and refinement of programs reflects their personal pursuit of excellence in all that they do.
- The Outreach Manager is able to navigate the competing demands of internal and external stakeholders and balances their passion for service with developed business acumen.
- HomeFirst is a diverse company in a diverse field, and the Outreach Manager desires to work with people from a variety of social and economic backgrounds.
- Required qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Services or related field (Bachelor's degree may be substituted by 2 years of relevant work experience;
- Experience serving people at risk of losing their housing or currently homeless preferred
- Minimum 1 year of progressive management experience, overseeing staff and programs across multiple sites:
- 1 year of experience working in emergency homeless services, management capacity
- Preferred experience in working with the homeless and a demonstrated understanding of Housing First as a model to end homelessness.
- A clear understanding of government grants including program and financial requirements
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain priorities and meet established deadlines;
- High level of flexibility and ability to prioritize appropriately;
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflict through a trauma-informed lens
- Highly developed communication skills, including demonstrated ability to communicate with a wide variety of people, including those who may be experiencing serious mental illness or who may be intoxicated, and to effectively manage conflict.
- Able to perform sedentary work;
- Able to lift up to 30 lbs. on occasion;
- Ability to use keyboard and read computer screens for extended periods;
- Able to stand/sit for extended periods, kneel, reach and bend related to the completion of duties;
Benefits of joining the HomeFirst team:
- Professional growth opportunities within the organization
- 100% medical coverage for employees with an opportunity to add dependents at a shared cost
- 401k match up to 4%
- 11 observed Holidays
- Generous PTO, accrual begins with 120 hours annually and increase with tenure
- 4 hours of Community Engagement provided annually
- Access to our Emergency Assistance Program (EAP) services
- Pet Insurance options available
About HomeFirst Services:
Established in 1980, with 40+ years of experience, we are the premier Silicon Valley provider of homelessness services. We believe that everyone has the potential to get housed and stay housed. We relentlessly focus on eliminating barriers to housing and creating stability for everyone we serve.
HomeFirst Services serves more than 6,000 adults, veterans, families, and young adults each year at multiple locations from Gilroy to Menlo Park – all of Santa Clara County as well as southern San Mateo County.
- Homelessness prevention
- Emergency and cold-weather shelters
- Comprehensive Veterans’ Services
- Rapid Rehousing programs
- Bridge Housing Communities
- Emergency Interim Housing
- Affordable permanent housing
- Permanent Supportive housing
- Street-based outreach
HomeFirst Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local law. Additionally, HomeFirst Services participates in the E-Verify program, as required by law.
HomeFirst Services is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.