Position: Street-Based Services Director
Location: San Jose/Santa Clara County
Employment Type: Regular Full Time, Exempt
This Street-Based Services Director oversees the program within HomeFirst’s Emergency Housing Division. This Division encompasses all programs serving individuals and families who are homeless and seeking immediate temporary housing or shelter options. Under the guidance of the agency’s Vice President (VP) of Emergency Housing Division, the Street-Based Services Director will oversee all Street-Based Services programs that engage with people experiencing homelessness on the street, in parks, along highways, in vehicles, and in other public spaces. Street-Based Services aims to link individuals to Coordinated Assessment System, emergency shelter placement, and exits to permanent housing.
The Street-Based Services Director supervises and supports a team of Program Managers responsible for several outreach programs. In partnership with the VP of Emergency Housing Division, the Street-Based Services Director will support in planning, design, and implementation of Street-Based Services that promote performance outcome metrics for all Street-Based programs assigned, and all aspects of program oversight and implementation within their department. Additionally, HomeFirst is exploring “sanctioned encampment” under Street- Based services, and the Director will lead this project requiring research and development of evidence-based best practice models for potential implementation.
Ideal candidates are knowledgeable and sensitive to the needs of the unhoused populations and homeless encampments throughout Santa Clara County. Enjoy leading multidisciplinary teams through a strength-based approach and thrive in fast-paced and rapidly changing indoor and outdoor environments.
- Works with VP of Emergency Housing Division and the agency Executive Leadership Team to plan, deliver and monitor strategic plan goals and outcomes;
- With the VP of Emergency Housing Division and agency Quality control Department, support the monitoring, analysis, and evaluation of program performance;
- Works with VP of Emergency Housing Division in the visioning new program; development, as well as developing operational plans for the program areas;
- Facilitate collaborative decision-making regarding program development and implementation;
- Works to expand and deepen the agency's external partnerships to ensure the highest level of service possible to those experiencing homelessness;
- Participate in community needs assessment, program planning, and program resource allocation activities;
- Responsible for the implementation and monitoring of services contracts and deliverables identified within multiple contracts;
- Responsible for programmatic operations of Street-Based services, including researching best practices and programmatic upgrades as necessary;
- Works in conjunction with the VP of Emergency Housing on the oversight of all budget items related to program areas assigned, as well as the development of a yearly budget;
- Responsible for maintaining best practices regarding compliance, policy and procedures, contract reporting, and data collection of assigned programs and contracts;
- Works in conjunction with the agency's Data and Evaluation team to generate regular data reports, as well as contract requirements;
- Recruit, evaluate, and train program managers and assists them in the development of their team and professional growth;
- Provides regular one to one supervision with team members as well as conducts team meetings;
- Assists with personnel recruitment and retention including, interviewing, hiring, and training;
- Shadow multiple Street-Based Services teams to gain insight and identify areas for program improvement;
- Attends local and non-local meetings and conferences as required by grantors;
- Ensures the timeliness and accuracy of data entry as well as monitors data for quality and compliance;
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with contract monitors ie. City, County, and private funders;
- Maintain awareness of emerging Street-Based Services trends including agency-wide, and nationally;
- Models a professional and respectful environment that supports teamwork while promoting the dignity, respect, and confidentiality of program participants, staff, and volunteers
This role is further responsible for modeling the values and principles of HomeFirst within the agency and the broader community.
- The Street-Based Services Director is relentless in their commitment to ending homelessness via the principles of Housing First and Harm Reduction. They demonstrate this commitment through thoughtful, strategic program design and a scientific approach to performance improvement. Their participation in the continuous testing, analysis, and refinement of programs reflects their personal pursuit of excellence in all that they do.
- The Street-Based Services Director is able to navigate the competing demands of internal and external stakeholders and balances their passion for service with developed business acumen.
- HomeFirst is a diverse company in a diverse field, and the Street-Based Services Director desires to work with people from a variety of social and economic backgrounds.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Services or related field (Bachelor's degree may be substituted by 4 years of management experience, in addition to the requirement below);
- Minimum 5 years experience in social services or non-profit sector;
- Evidence of progressive management experience, overseeing staff and programs across multiple sites:
- 1 year of experience working in emergency homeless services, management capacity
- Able to perform sedentary work;
- Able to lift up to 30 lbs. on occasion;
- Ability to use keyboard and read computer screens for extended periods;
- Able to stand/sit for extended periods, kneel, reach and bend related to the completion of duties;
- Fluent in Microsoft Office Suite
Benefits of joining the HomeFirst team:
- Professional growth opportunities within the organization
- 100% medical coverage for employees with an opportunity to add dependents at a shared cost
- 401k match up to 4%
- 11 observed Holidays
- Generous PTO, accrual begins with 120 hours annually and increase with tenure
- 4 hours of Community Engagement provided annually
- Access to our Emergency Assistance Program (EAP) services
- Pet Insurance options available
About HomeFirst Services:
Established in 1980, with 40+ years of experience, we are the premier Silicon Valley provider of homelessness services. We believe that everyone has the potential to get housed and stay housed. We relentlessly focus on eliminating barriers to housing and creating stability for everyone we serve.
HomeFirst Services serves more than 6,000 adults, veterans, families, and young adults each year at multiple locations from Gilroy to Menlo Park – all of Santa Clara County as well as southern San Mateo County.
- Homelessness prevention
- Emergency and cold-weather shelters
- Comprehensive Veterans’ Services
- Rapid Rehousing programs
- Bridge Housing Communities
- Emergency Interim Housing
- Affordable permanent housing
- Permanent Supportive housing
- Street-based outreach
HomeFirst Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local law. Additionally, HomeFirst Services participates in the E-Verify program, as required by law.
HomeFirst Services is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.